loader.conf issues

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 01:12:56 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Weldon S Godfrey 3 <weldon at excelsus.com> wrote:

> I did a quick search for this and didn't see anyone seeing this.
>
> I am running 7.0-PRERELEASE amd64
>
> This is my loader.conf:
>
> vm.kmem_size_max="16106127360"
> vm.kmem_size="1073741824"
> kern.maxvnodes="800000"
>
> However, this is what happens after reboot:
>
> store1# sysctl -a | grep kmem
> vm.kmem_size_scale: 3
> vm.kmem_size_max: 3221225472
> vm.kmem_size_min: 0
> vm.kmem_size: 1073741824
> store1# sysctl -a | grep kern.maxvn
> kern.maxvnodes: 100000
> store1#
>

> Is there some issue with vm.kmem_size_max being larger than 3G?  If this has
> been fixed, let me know.  I am using 7.0-RELEASE loader from amd64 iso since
> for some reason, when I complile a new loader on this Dell 2950-iii, I get
> an unusable loader (it just hangs before the screen to select safe mode,
> single user mode, etc).

Quote Jeremy Chadwich talking about vm.kmem_size:
"1) Consider increasing it from 512M to something like 1.5GB; do not
increase it past that on RELENG_7, as there isn't support for more than
2GB total. For example, on a 1GB memory machine, I often recommend
768M. On 2GB machines, 1536M. You will need to run -CURRENT if you
want more."

a great day,