FreeBSD 7.0 problems

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu Dec 4 00:45:19 PST 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008 03:06:34 Da Rock wrote:
> I have just installed FreeBSD 7.0 on a laptop I just cleaned up. It used
> to run Fedora linux (I have a tv card which used to work on it, but now
> I can't get the drivers to work again), and it got very cluttered and
> started getting issues. The hardware is fine though- it just returned
> from servicing under warranty and nearly every component was replaced.
> Ergo I can't fault the hardware in any way.
>
> I tried FreeBSD 7.0 before, but it wasn't working properly for me and I
> didn't have the time then to get all the reports to make a PR.
>
> Now, I decided to sort this out- finally! The issues I'm having are
> similar to before, but not quite the same (keeping in mind that I didn't
> take much time with it before). They are:
>
> The wifi driver complains of timeout errors. (Intel iwi 2200bg - last
> time I tried had a ralink wifi)
> Xorg has DRI errors - fills /var and tries to kill the whole system (I'm
> probably exaggerating, but it felt like it at least)
> dhclient loses the IP constantly.
>
> So: How do I present these issues for review? What information is
> needed? Anything I've missed?
>
> This is the first time I've had to do this (which I think is pretty
> good- goes to show how well the OS is built), so I'm a little green in
> this regard.

For starters:
* dmesg
* pciconf -lv
* if you have omni-positional antennas on the AP or not
* if the dri problems go away when dri is disabled and no other symptoms show
up
* /var/log/Xorg.0.log without the abundance of dri errors
* ls /var/db/pkg/ |grep 'xf86-video-*'
* Why you installed 7.0 and not 7.1-BETA2

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.