Installation on a Dell Poweredge R805

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Tue Dec 2 10:13:16 PST 2008

I'm having an issue installing FreeBSD 7 AMD64 on a Dell Poweredge R805.

The system starts to boot, throws several mpt_cam_event 0x12 and 0x16
errors, presents the boot menu, and then crashes with a "Fatal trap
12: page fault while in kernel mode" and then wants to reboot.

This is a dual CPU, quad core Opteron 2352 system with 8GB RAM and
dual SAS on a PERC6 controller.  I've tried various memory and BIOS
settings to see if I can get it to boot, but it either does the bits
describe above, or hangs hard.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

--Chris