Problem configuring X: FreeBSD 6.4, Intel video card, Fujitsu lifebook

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Dec 2 03:33:55 PST 2008

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 6.4 on a Fujitsu lifebook. I'm quite new to
FreeBSD (see previous post "Introduction"). Some time ago, I had bought
(and partially read) Michael Urban's "FreeBSD 6 Unleashed". I just
worked through the initial chapters, and managed installing FreeBSD and
configuring X just fine. Only I ran into trouble installing a desktop
environment, since building gnome2-lite failed. I thought before doing
anything, I'd get a more recent set of FreeBSD install discs, since the
book includes 6.1, which seems a bit outdated.

Now I did an install using a set of 6.4 install discs. Everything ran
fine, except I can't get X to work anymore.

Configuration:

# Xorg -configure
# mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And then test:

# startx

X crashes with the following error message:

Fatal server error:
Couldn't find PLL settings for mode!

I googled about this and found a few results... on the Ubuntu 8.10
bugtracker. Apparently the 'intel' video driver has some problems with
my specific Intel video card.

What now? Try to use the older 'i810' instead of 'intel'? But how would
I do that? Simply replacing the corresponding "Driver" line in xorg.conf
doesn't help.

Any suggestions?

Niki Kovacs