PPTP (VPN) FREEBSD 7-p3

Vince Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 10:14:41 UTC 2008

d c wrote:
> I have used /usr/ports/net/pptpclient/ as long as I remember.  I just setup a new 7.0 Desktop and installed the port.  When I run pptp x.x.x.x I get:
>
> /bin/ip: not found
> /bin/ip: not found

Bit odd this, it seems to have the linux command ip (from the iproute2
package) hard coded.

routing.c:  snprintf(buf, 255, "/bin/ip route get %s", ip);
routing.c:  snprintf(buf, 255, "/bin/ip route replace %s", route);
routing.c:  snprintf(buf, 255, "/bin/ip route delete %s", route);

Not knowing the output format of the linux commands off hand I'm not
sure if you could just replace them with /sbin/route or not, although
freebsd route doesnt have a replace command that i know of.
the cvsweb page at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pptpclient/
isnt responding so I couldnt tell you how it used to do it assuming its
changed recently.
  Its probably worth your while asking the maintainer or filing a PR.

> I searched for /bin/ip and could not find it nor could I find "ip" anywhere in the file system.

nope its a linuxism, doesnt exist in freebsd, for routing we use route.

> man ip brings up info but it looks like it is not a bin but a structure used in c??? not too sure about that.

> Has anyone ran across this?  Is there an alternate instead of ip?  Perhaps I can hack it into the source.

I would probably suggest using mpd (/usr/ports/net/mpd5) myself, its
very well supported on freebsd and although it does way more than you
need its pretty simple to setup, (the sample mpd.conf has an example
pptp_client you can adapt.)

Vince