defrag

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Aug 29 04:24:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 02:43:40 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> >> you will get block arranged like this (where 1 is file 1's data,2
> >> is data from file 2 and 3 from file 3):
> >>
> >> 123123123123123123123123213213
> >
> > This is just untrue. I don't much like Microsoft, but I don't think
>
> i AM sure it is like that under DOS up to 6.2 (where i tested it),
> and almost sure with windoze 95&98.

Well, you can't really say  "it's just like FAT" if you've only looked
at FAT.

> possibly untrue in Win NT,

From what I've read, it's a journalling filesytem  based on a
B+ tree with small files stored directly in the tree and larger files in
variable-length extents. It sounds superficially similar to several
UNIX filesystems.

I see that ext4 the successor to ext3, and which also has extent
support, has a defragmenter. And it appears to give significant
increases in read speeds.

http://ols.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/sato-Reprint.pdf