gjournal & fsck

Brian McCann bjmccann at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:05:35 UTC 2008

Hi all.  I'm having some problems with several servers I've built
recently (7.0-RELEASE) that are using gjournal.  I had two reboot a
few days ago (un-related to FreeBSD problems I think)...but when they
came back up, the file systems wouldn't mount since they were not
clean.  Now, I understand that UFS knows nothing about the fact that
it's journaled, and the journaling knows nothing about UFS...but it's
my understanding that by using gjournal, you should really never need
to fsck a file system.  However, the only way to get them to mount is
by doing the fsck.  Is there something else I should be doing instead
of fsck?

And since I know it will probably come up, I built the file systems
using the instructions and notes at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=gjournal&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE&format=html.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!