messagebus user

jef moskot jef at math.miami.edu
Wed Aug 27 06:46:00 UTC 2008

We just upgraded to a new server (FreeBSD 7.0) and in our passwd file is
the user "messagebus" (there's also a group).

What's this for and can the UID be changed?  It's got the same number as
one of our oldest users and we're trying to determine which UID would be
easier to switch.

While this obviously has something to do with D-BUS (whatever that is),
it's nothing we installed "on purpose".  If it's not a part of the default
system, it probably got bundled in as a dependency during an large port
make.

Any suggestions?

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator