mysql-server-5.1.22 system administration docs on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-i386 ?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Wed Aug 27 04:57:12 UTC 2008

freebsd-questions:

I am a FreeBSB noob who has read http://nostarch.com/abs_bsd2.htm and is
attempting to build a FreeBSD 7.0 box for Apache/ MySQL/ Perl applications.
I've installed mysql-server-5.1.22 via sysinstall from ftp1.us.freebsd.org, but
I am unable to figure out how to start it.

RTFM:

    # man mysqld
    No manual entry for mysqld

    # makewhatis

    # apropos mysql
    mysql: nothing appropriate

    # whatis mysql
    mysql: nothing appropriate

I don't understand why apropos and whatis can't find mysql:

    # man mysql

Yup, it's there; but that's the client.  So is the admin utility:

    # man mysqladmin

The FreeBSD Handbook doesn't mention mysql in the TOC:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

(Attempting to get the whole thing as HTML locks up my browser.)

The mailing list archives didn't help.  (Including using Google with site:).

STFW led me to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.  Attempting to use that:

    # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start

    # ps -a | grep mysql

    # mysql
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

    # mysqladmin ping
    mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
(2)'
    Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

I've been fumbling my way around FreeBSD, and thus far have been able to get
things working via /etc/rc.d/* scripts and/or /etc/rc.conf --  (apache_enable,
hostname, ifconfig_*, defaultrouter, ntpd*, inetd.   mysql-5.1 doesn't seem to
follow the pattern.  Why?

Where is the FreeBSD 7.0 system administration documentation for mysqld 5.1?
Specifically, how to start it manually and how to start it at book via the rc
system?

TIA,

David