DHCP and Encapsulating Vendor Options

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Tue Aug 26 20:13:51 UTC 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a need to encapsulate option 125 for my phone system on my isc-dhcp
server.

Following is a snippet from my dhcpd.conf file.

option space MITEL;
option MITEL.Option-125 code 125 = string;

subnet 1.2.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 1.2.3.100 1.2.3.200;
  option routers 1.2.3.1;
  option domain-name-servers 1.2.3.1;
  vendor-option-space MITEL;
  option MITEL.Option-125 "Mitel hexadecimal data goes here"
}

Is this the right way to encapsulate the Hex data?  I have not been able
to find any information from Mitel concerning how to setup this option on
an isc-dhcp server.  The information I found was for a Windows 2003 DHCP
server, and the data type needed to be encapsulated.  So, my assumption is
(I know, I know), the data will have to be encapsulated on the isc dhcp
server as well.

Any  help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay