Postfix & pop-before-smtp

Marcel Grandemange thavinci at thavinci.za.net
Mon Aug 25 17:39:31 UTC 2008

I don't know if anyone will be able to assist me with this one, but two days
ago I decided to redo our mail server.

All went well except for one components..

Pop-before-smtp, it seems no matter what I did it would simply cause postfix
hassles.

Now I know pop-before-smtp is confed correctly as old working config was
used...

I also know that it DOES create the pop-before-smtp.db file on start if I
delete it manually as test.

I can also check if there are any ip's in db by doing pop-before-smtp -list.
(IT OBVIOUSLY RETURNED NOTHIN)

However postfix keeps throwing errors to the following..

Aug 25 15:31:21 thavinci postfix/smtpd[77983]: fatal: open database
/usr/local/etc/postfix/pop-before-smtp.db: Invalid argument

Aug 25 11:14:49 thavinci postfix/smtpd[88389]: fatal: open database
/usr/local/etc/postfix/pop-before-smtp.db: Inappropriate file type or format

Aug 25 12:17:11 thavinci postfix/smtpd[40445]: fatal: open database
/usr/local/etc/postfix/pop-before-smtp.db: Bad file descriptor

And that is the correct location and postfix was compile directly from ports
with option BDB which I understand is required to read this file.

Ive been trying for a day straight trying to resolve this and had to
continue without this feature for now to allow mail to run..

At this stage I would worship the ground of anyone that could help me solve
this!!!