turn on beastie beside the 'Welcome to FreeBSD' boot optionsmenu

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Aug 25 12:45:21 UTC 2008

Kevin Monceaux wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > How would you like this one?
 > >
 > > http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/vloader/screenshot5.png
 > >
 > > (It's work in progress.  See the latest FreeBSD Quarterly Status
 > > Report.)
 >
 > When I recently came across info on the graphical boot loader project I
 > secretly hoped that either the project would fail, or that at least the
 > graphical boot loader would be optional.

It will be optional.  Note that we will also still support
serial console.

 > But, after seeing the above screenshot I think I might be able to get used
 > to the boot loader pictured in that screenshot.  The screenshot I came
 > across with I first discovered the project recently:
 >
 > http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/vloader/screenshot.png
 >
 > looks nice, but is just a bit too modern for my tastes.

You will be able to supply your own picture if you like.
I also expect that some people will create various kinds
of artwork (in the ports collection or elsewhere), so
there will be quite a few "themes" to choose frome.

And if you still don't like it, a switch in loader.conf
will bring the old text menu back.

Well, at least that's the plan.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

cat man du : where Unix geeks go when they die