OT: most "universal" file system for 1TB external USB2 hard drive

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri Aug 22 20:54:35 UTC 2008

> Windows XP Pro.  If I want all of these systems to be able to read and write
> to the drive, what file system should I use?  I know fat32 is pretty
> universal, but is it advisable?

yes, just don't put too many small files on it as it's wasteful.
and don't put too big files (in order of many GB) too, because it gets
slow then.

but yes - it's the only FS really portable. not because it's good (exactly
opposite) but because it's very simple to implement and it's common, so
every OS has fat16/32 support.

the other solution is to use unix UFS, and install UFS driver for windoze,
which exist AFAIK (at least i had this for win98 some time ago).