Upgrading firmware/bios/boot on Areca ARC-1210

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Fri Aug 22 12:56:27 UTC 2008

I posted this same question on freebsd-scsi a few days ago but got no
response there so I thought I try here.

I want to update the firmware, bios, and boot code in my areca ARC-1210
raid controller and am a bit hesitant to do it for lack of any
experience updating this card. I want to use the areca-cli program to do
this and I see that the areca-cli looks like it supports updating the
firmware (via the "sys updatefw" command), but I don't know if I can use
this to update the bios and boot code as well or not. Can someone help
me out on this? Also, is it ok to do this update while the system is up
and using the card? I think this is the case (I suspect that the update
doesn't really take effect till reboot), but was hoping someone with
experience could comment.

I also read somewhere on the Areca web site that you should update all
three parts (firmware/bios/boot) prior to rebooting as otherwise the
card may fail to operate due to mis-match of the code.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox              If you try to please everybody, nobody will like it.
bob at immure.com
Austin, TX