Bidirectional traffic control with PF and altq or dummynet

Andrew D andrewd at webzone.net.au
Fri Aug 22 04:57:43 UTC 2008

Edwin L. Culp wrote:
> I have been using PF for several years now and used IPFW previous to PF
> that I've grown more and more fond of. I now need to manage
> bidirectional traffic  I have used Dummynet before to do similar things
> but it is my understanding that Altq can only manage outgoing traffic
> although I find the occasional example of it managing incoming like one
> to limit window's email assuming that I'm reading it properly.
>
> My questions are:
>
>   Am I correct in saying that Altq can not manage bidirectional traffic?

based on what I have read of man pf.conf, I'd say nup.

'The interfaces on which queueing should be activated are declared'

If you can set it on multiple devices then applying altq bidirectionaly
on traffic going through should be no prob.  If its traffic to and from
the box in question I don't know.

HTH
cya
Andrew