Again: fsck_ffs memory requirements

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Aug 21 15:37:41 UTC 2008

First, thanks for the quick reply.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:23:41 +0200, Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Increase kern.maxdsiz.

It seems that I don't have kern.maxdsiz:

	# sysctl kern.maxdsiz
	sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.maxdsiz'

Am I looking at the wrong place? Allthough I've been using
FreeBSD since 4.0, it seems that I got a "little" stupid over
the years... :-/

> The attempt to malloc this much may be wrong
> anyway though, if the filesystem is so badly corrupted that fsck is
> confused.

That's possible, but maybe understandable: Within the home
directory which's inode died are many files and directories.
But if I did fsck_ffs correctly, only the inodes of the 1st
instance beneath the home directory need to be recorded and
then placed into lost+found/ with their names (lost) being
the inode number; their substructures still have their names.
Is is, of course, an assumption that implies that there are
no further dead inodes within the substructures, but the
amount and kind of error messages seems to indicate that there
are further problems.

It's just a little beam of hope for me, so I'll try everything
to get access to my former home directory with all my life
inside... :-) I haven't given up hope yet.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0