Recommended newfs settings for 600GB mail (maildir) store?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 20 14:16:23 UTC 2008

Chris St Denis wrote:
 > I recently created a new mail server with a 600GB raid5 partition to
 > store maildirs. When I created it, I used a newfs -i 4096 but when I had
 > recent hardware problems the background FSCK took a very long time, and
 > I'm concerned that the -i 4096 may have made that a lot worse.

Yes, that's probably the case.

 > So I ask. What newfs settings do you recommend for a 600GB partition
 > dedicated to maildirs?

You will need a large number of inodes, so the fsck time
will be very long if you use plain UFS.  There are no
newfs options that will be able to help it, I'm afraid.

You should either use UFS with gjournal, or use ZFS.

Best regards
   Oliver

PI:
int f[9814],b,c=9814,g,i;long a=1e4,d,e,h;
main(){for(;b=c,c-=14;i=printf("%04d",e+d/a),e=d%a)
while(g=--b*2)d=h*b+a*(i?f[b]:a/5),h=d/--g,f[b]=d%g;}