Still, no-joy with kdm......

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Aug 19 18:25:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:41:08AM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Monday, August 18, 2008 16:43:23 -0700 Gary Kline <kline at thought.org>
> wrote:
>

> >	Guys,
> >
> >	Im looking at the kdmrc file but don't see anything wrong.
> >	Any ideas where to llook next?
>
> I use kde every day, and I don't have a kdmrc file.

	If you installed KDE, you have it. In kde3 it's at
	/usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

> You can start kde several ways.  One way is to login as root and type "kdm"
> at the prompt.  Another is to edit /etc/ttys the way the Handbook
> describes.  (You can read that yourself.)  Another way is to use an xinitrc
> file.  (That's in the Handbook as well.)

	I haven't edited /etc/ttys yet; I may.  But I think something got
	broken [mis-CLEANED by fsck or otherwise damanaged during the
	weekend power-out].

	It may be easier to completely remove v3 and re-install kde4.

> The reason kdm can't create its pid file is most likely because you're
> trying to start it under your account instead of root.

	I'm pretty sure I was in ./root or slash when I logged in.
	I'm using KDE now, sort-of, by virture of startx.  Still, lots of
	misc things were not initialized.

	gary

	gary