how do I get Speech working with Firefox?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Aug 18 21:20:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 11:04 +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:20:50 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 20:17 +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> { please keep the ML in the TO or CC of your emails, so others can help :) )

Sorry, Beto, I thought I had replied-to-all.  ....

> > > Gary,
> > > it would help if you said what are you doing , and what isn't happening, so someone can say what are you doing, if anything, wrong.
> > >
> > > Just to try to make it a useful reply, you do have java support working on your ffox, right?
> > >
> > Yes, I installed the required java suite;
>
> and it is shown in about:plugins ?
>
> for example, mine shows :
>
> about:plugins
>
> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-p4-b00
>
>     File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
>     Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03
> [table follows showing all supported types ]

Yes, the "File name" is exactly what I had installed.  It may have been
1.5 rather than 1.6 that you have.  At any rate, after re-initialized
ff, there was this two menu-bar long (or perhaps only one, but in loud
colors [IMO]) and one option was "Speech".  There was nothing I could do
to get any audio whatsoever.

I wound up writing the author who asked if I had the right plugin, and
more.   The short version was that eventually I just dropped it.  This
time I thought I'd check with the best and brightest list.

If you got firefox to echo any words, please tell me how!

> > I pulled down the speech deal,
>
> I still don't know what is this speech deal you mention.

Somewhere in the ff headers is a list of the newest applets.  I think
there are/[were] two that gave speech capability.  AH! Found it:
The URL : https://addons.mozilla.org and type in "speech" and yes, it's
"AccessiBar".  That was the only one that seemed most likely.

While my main desktop [tao] portupgrades, I'm on my ubuntu server.  I'll
see if something happens this time.  Here and on my 7.0 FreeBSD server.

gary