FreeBSD-7 reboots hourly

Bhasker C V bhasker at unixindia.com
Mon Aug 18 17:32:36 UTC 2008

There could be memory issues.

I had a system which used to periodically reboot.

Eventually found out that after some time, when a part of memory
  is accessed, due to the faulty memory chip, the system crashes
  and reboots.

Try swapping the memory banks and boot the system. If the faulty chip
  falls in the memory range where the system is booting up, then you will
  be able to see that the booting fails !

OR

Try to replace the memory cards and try to run the system.

Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> Hello dear colleagues.
>
>> 2 days I have strange behaviour on my 7.0-RELEASE-p3 server.
>> It started to reboot once an hour.
>> No any suspicious task in crontab, nothing strange in /var/log.
>> Just silent reboot.
>> I have no physical access to server - only remote one.
>
>> Question is: what could it be?
>> How to find what send computer to reboot?
>
>> Just extra information: I had such stuff before - installworld helped me
>> for one week,
>> now it appears again :(
>
>> Opened services/sockets are:
>> nobody   proftpd    647   1  tcp4   *:21                  *:*
>> root     sshd       845   4  tcp4   *:22                  *:*
>> postfix  smtpd      5115  6  tcp4   *:25                  *:*
>> bind     named      525   20 udp4   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:53    *:*
>> nobody   nginx      643   4  tcp4   *:80                  *:*
>> root     couriertcp 769   3  tcp4   *:110                 *:*
>> root     couriertcp 789   3  tcp4   *:143                 *:*
>> root     rsync      659   5  tcp4   *:873                 *:*
>> root     couriertcp 779   3  tcp4   *:993                 *:*
>> root     couriertcp 760   3  tcp4   *:995                 *:*
>> root     syslogd    461   9  udp4   *:514                 *:*
>
>> also on local interface (lo0) I have apache, postgrey, spamassasin.
>
>> I need some pieces of advice what to do with it and what could it be.
>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Alexey A. Ukhov
>
>> P.S.: I mean hourly: I start top and just wait. last what I see is:
>> 0:59:59 uptime
>
> Try to disable some cronjobs that run hourly.
> I think it is something within a cronjob.
>
> Regards,
> Johan

Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)
The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.