kde troubles....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Aug 18 00:42:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 02:02 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:30:07 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:14:26AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > > Maybe removing this PID file and retrying to start kdm
> > > should solve the problem? It is possible that kdm refuses
> > > to start while this file is present (and kdm is guessing
> > > that another kdm instance is running already).
> >

> > 	danke, uber nien.[1]
> > [1] how fractured is that!?
>
> I thinks it's "danke, aber nein".
>

> >  if you see my reply to Mike Power, that's a no-go.
>
> The PID file should not be empty, it should contain the PID of
> kdm as text.
>
> Another problem seems to be that the kdm from KDE 4 does need
> a different configuration file than KDE 3... maybe you can
> remove / rename version 3 of the file and see if there are
> any defaults for version 4, eventually generated automatically?
>

> > 	I tried to get KDE up hours ago, but after failing, thought I'd
> > 	try building kde4, ja?  nope.
>
> Eventually testing xdm instead of kdm - just to see if this one
> is working - would be a first step.
>
> I'm no KDE user, so I'm sorry I can't help any more.
>

> >  that bombed somewhere while I was
> > 	getting stuff done on my ubuntu desktop.
>
> If you use precompiled packages, there should not be a problem.
> If you're interested in a preconfigured and working KDE and you
> don't mind that it's KDE 3 on a FreeBSD 6 system, why not try
> PC-BSD or DesktopBSD?
>

> > 	ever have the urge to put your fist thru the CRT?  (*********)
>
> Yes, since I need to use FreeBSD 7 after an accident destroying all
> my data where fsck cannot help anymore, and FreeBSD 7 and it's
> software does not behave the way I think it should... :-(

i know the feeling.

xdm works very well, but only tried logging in as root.
missing .xsession and .ctwmrc that i used more many, Many years.

i'll tell you, after using FBSD since 2.0.5, i'm ready to give omething
prepackaged a try.

To the LIST:  I found my missing .xinitrc.  but now my .xsession file is
gone.

going to reboot after rm'ing kdm.pid.

.