RES: RES: Very Slow Samba

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Aug 17 23:33:40 UTC 2008

At 09:37 AM 8/15/2008, Mauro Ribeiro - Class Consultoria e Assessoria wrote:
>Hi Derek,
>
>I didn't have any Intel boards here for spare, but i Found a HP PCI-Express
>1x Giga Ethernet here.
>
>It's a broadcom chipset, I did replace the card but still with the same
>problem. I also did a very deep research in google and found more people
>with the same problem and everyone of them without a solution.
>
>I guess that it's a issue between Samba and FreeBSD. I do say that 'cuz on
>Linux+Samba (Debian Kernel+Samba.deb) this issue does not appear.
>
>Anyway, If you have another idea.
>
>BTW, this box was the same box that used to run Windows 2003 with SQL
>Server.
>
>Thank you for the support.
>
>Best Regards,
>Mauro Ribeiro

Mauro,

I'd look at your samba configuration and DNS configuration.  If you have
samba running on another *NIX OS faster I'd compare the samba,
authentication, and dns configurations.

I'd still suggest you buy a new intel ethernet.  These are not expensive
and I know they work well under any load.

For a test, you could also try FreeNAS instead of FreeBSD+Samba.  It is
essentially the same but all "packaged" for file sharing.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.