FreeBSD 7-STABLE +Gnome +Compiz-Fusion?

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 22:48:36 UTC 2008

Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hi Manolis!
>    Good to hear from you - thanks for responding..,
>
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>

>>  Stacey Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>   I'm trying to get Compiz-Fusion + Gnome to work on my newly (completed
>>> installation + initial upgrades last night) installed IBM T43p notebook,
>>> but I'm not sure that I'm doing this right..,
>>>
>>> Basically, I've: -
>>>
>>> 1] Installed OS
>>> 2] Upgraded OS to latest Stable as of (early AM) Aug 17th 2008
>>> 3] Upgraded install-time ports (portupgrade, cvsup, etc)
>>> 4] Installed XORG
>>> 5] Installed compiz-fusion from ports
>>> 6] installed gnome2 from ports
>>> 7] Tried following instructions located here:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html
>>>
>>> I can log into Gnome desktop fine, but running the suggested cmds:
>>>
>>> % compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
>>> % emerald --replace &
>>>
>>> as per the article above, doesn't appear to do anything. I mean, what
>>> else
>>> is there that I need to do, besides, please?
>>>
>>> Here's some system info:
>>>
>>> $ uname -a
>>> FreeBSD <snipped> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Sat Aug
>>> 16 19:49:12 BST 2008
>>> root@<snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IRON  i386
>>> $ pkg_info -a | grep -i compiz-fusion | head -3
>>> compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.6.0_2
>>> compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.6.0_2
>>> compiz-fusion-0.6.0_1
>>> $ pkg_info -a | grep -i gnome2-2 | head -1
>>> gnome2-2.22.3
>>> $ pkg_info -a | grep -i xorg-server | head -1
>>> xorg-server-1.4.2,1
>>> $
>>> Graphics card: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]
>>>

>>  The article deals with nvidia-driver only.
>>

> Hmm.., the article though, at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/nvidia-setup.html,
> does state "If you are using another card, that you know can handle
> desktop effects, you may skip this section and continue with the xorg.conf
> configuration" - maybe I read too much into that statement???

Well, the article is right to the point that you will not install nvidia
drivers on an ATI card ;)
However as I understand 3D support in ATI is a hit and miss even in
Linux (and ATI's proprietary driver is awful).
The xorg.conf settings in the article have only been tested with nvidia,
and may need some adjustment for other 3D capable cards. I've been told
they don't work with Intel, but will investigate this on my eeePC soon.

As for your ATI, a quick search shows that 3D with AIGLX is supported by
the open source drivers in X300. I've found several xorg.conf samples,
so it is probably a matter of doing a bit of research. If you do find
the "magic line" that makes it work, I would be glad to hear about it
and add it to the article.

Thanks,
Manolis