Updated 'bind' And FreeBSD 6.3

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 22:50:53 UTC 2008

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> Is there an expected date when the latest version of bind9 (that fixes
> the recently discussed DNS vulnerability) will be merged into the
> 6.3-STABLE tree.  I patch and update fairly regularly and
> bind -v gives me: BIND 9.3.5-P1   I believe the patched version
> is something like 9.5.0-P?...
>
> TIA,

Patches against the Kaminsky attack were released for all of the
supported BIND branches.  9.3.5-P1 is a patched version.  You can verify
that your bind is patched by using the dns oarc tester:

   https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

or manually by:

   dig +short porttest.dns-oarc.net TXT

If it reports 'poor' you still need to fix your server.  Beware of NAT
gateways which can reduce the randomness with which source ports are
used in passing.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3