TCP problem FreeBSD 7.0/amd64

Terry R. Friedrichsen bsd at hackbox.bunker-ranch.org
Fri Aug 15 21:25:18 UTC 2008

I recently built a new machine with a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 motherboard
and an AMD 9750 Phenom quad CPU.  The Ethernet interface is a RealTek
"RTL8169S/8110S/8211B media interface" as described by dmesg.  I installed
FreeBSD 7.0/amd64.

I have been having a number of network problems with this system. I first
noticed that Firefox was getting "incorrect Message Authentication Code"
messages.  I thought this might be a Firefox problem, but I noticed on a
couple of other web sites that filling in message-posting pages occasion-
ally failed with "not all requested fields filled in" for no reason (a
simple retry wucceeded).  The kicker came when I tried to use scp(1) to
copy some files over the Internet to a remote machine:

% scp *.JPG foo at remote.host:images
Password:
MVC00001.JPG                                   22%  152KB 152.0KB/s   00:03 ETAReceived disconnect from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn: 2: Corrupted MAC on input.
lost connection
% scp *.JPG foo at remote.host:images
Password:
MVC00001.JPG                                    0%    0     0.0KB/s   --:-- ETARead from remote host remote.host: Connection reset by peer
lost connection
% scp *.JPG foo at remote.host:images
Password:
MVC00001.JPG                                    0%    0     0.0KB/s   --:-- ETAReceived disconnect from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn: 2: Bad packet length 3694804283.
lost connection

I have seen other "Bad packet length" messages with different lengths given.

I suspect a bug in the RealTek's driver, but I don't know for sure.  Any
suggestions?  Where's the proper place to report this, and what further
information could I provide in order to help track this down?

Thanks.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

bsd at bunker-ranch.com