$ORIGIN problem in freebsd 6.2

Oancea Ionut-Francisc jean_francois666 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 22:30:16 UTC 2008

Hi all,

     I have a problem with the runtime library linking on freebsd6.2_ix86... My executable file is linked to the others shared libraries (on compile time) and for the runtime, rpath was set to $ORIGIN( i checked this and with 'readelf' utility). Now, the issue is why, when i try to run my executable, the shared libraries cannot be found although all needed libraries are in the same path to the executable?The same thing result and after running 'ldd myexecutable' command, none library is find... I realize that the $ORIGIN variable is ignored or unknown after I change the rpath with the entire path to the shared libraries and then everything goes properly.
      Is here another solution to set up the search path to the same dir with the executable?...or I must to update my /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 and my 'ld' utility(the version of ld is 2.15)

Thanks