WEP at home

Chris Chambers cchamb0 at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 14 03:24:46 UTC 2008

Dear FreeBSD,

I am hoping that I can get your help connecting to a wireless WEP network connection. The
connection is in my home. First off, I would like to say that I HAVE read the man pages, the
handbook and "The Complete FreeBSD." Everything up until now has been pretty straight
forward. (I was able to figure out how to pipe my screen output into a file on my non
automounting dos partition).

There must be something basic that I'm missing or not understanding.

I'm running v. 6.3, standard installion.
Here is what I am typing, the output and the contents of my conf files.

ifconfig ath0 up scan

SSID            BSSID              CHAN RATE  S:N   INT CAPS

Laureen         00:1a:c4:09:65:61    6   54M 18:0   100 EPS

/boot/loader.conf

wlan_wep_load="YES"

/etc/rc.conf

# -- sysinstall generated deltas --
# Wed Aug 13 00:27:32 2008
# Created: Wed Aug 13 00:27:32 2008
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
keymap="us.iso"
usbd_enable="YES"

#WIRELESS

ifconfig_ath0="authmode open wepmode mixed DHCP"

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={
	ssid="Laureen"
	scan_ssid=1
	key_mgmt=NONE
	wep_tx_keyidx=1
	wep_key1=1013304023
}

wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Trying to associate with 00:1a:c4:09:65:61 (SSID='Laureen' freq=2437 MHz)
Associated with 00:1a:c4:09:65:61
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:1a:c4:09:65:61 completed (auth)
CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received

At this point I thought I was good to go. When I attemped to ping the outside world
(yahoo.com), I was told that ping could not resolve the address.

At first I thought I maybe needed to run namedb, but my reading told me that I only need it
if I'm planning on serving DNS info.

netstat -r

Routing tables
Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
link#2             UC                                 0        0   ath0
localhost          localhost          UH          0        4    lo0
... etc.

At this point you're probably thinking that I have to wrong key or something. In Windows XP
the key works and Win tells me that the link is WEP, OPEN, created with DHCP.
I've connected to this network before by doing something very similar, only I can't remember
what I did. Then I had to reinstall FreeBSD because I didn't give it enough space on my
harddrive. I've tried slightly different configurations without success.

Thank you a million!

Chris Chambers