Max. number of opened files, efficiency

Bob McConnell rvm at CBORD.com
Wed Aug 13 14:56:02 UTC 2008

On Behalf Of Laszlo Nagy

> Another interesting (offtopic) question is that I could not open 10
000
> files under Windows XP. Error was "too many open file". How to
overcome
> this?

There are various limits on the numbers of handles of different types
available in MS-Windows. Some can be adjusted by adding or changing
registry values and rebooting. Others can only be modified by changing
constants and recompiling. Your best bet to find which this is would be
to do a search on MSDN. Or, if you have an MCSE from the early years, he
might be able to look it up for you.

Bob McConnell