question -updating package + ignore depend

mc marshc187 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:36:16 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 13:07:21 Greg Larkin wrote:
> mc wrote:
> | hi,
> |
> | can anyone briefly explain what is the general procedure here?
> |
> | i am trying to update a few packages which inevitably provoke a firefox2
> | install, which i don't want (have ff3).
> |
> | checked google and porter's handbook, then tried marking ff2 as IGNORE --
> | which i didn't really understand how but added IGNORE= reason etc etc
>
> to the
>
> | makefile at the very top after the comments. seems like it worked, but
>
> what i
>
> | want to update fails because of that.
> |
> | i am installing portupgrade now to try with k or K (whichever means
>
> comtinue
>
> | anyway) but is this a good idea or an easier way?
> |
> | also, i am not sure if questions like this go here or still go in ports
> | mailing list ?
> |
> | thanks in advance
>
> Hi mc,
>
> Which ports are you trying to update?  It may be that they need their
> dependencies (BUILD_DEPENDS, RUN_DEPENDS, etc.) changed to reflect
the
> new version of Firefox.
>
> Of course, that assumes that FF3 provides the same requirements that FF2
> did for each specific port.  Please post the port names back here, and
> I'll take a look at the various Makefiles.
>
> Best regards,
> Greg

hello again
the packages are :

ports/graphics/librsvg2
ports/x11-fm/nautilus
ports/x11-wm/ccsm
ports/x11-wm/compizconfig-python.

at least those are what i have left after portupgrade -k.

btw, after posting earlier, i tried portupgrade and caught a glimpse of a
message from librsvg2 saying it uses/relies on said firefox2 for gecko.

thanks for yr reply, excuse me for panicking