FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Win XP on one system

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd at milibyte.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 21:48:40 UTC 2008

On Monday 11 August 2008, Bruno Schmitt wrote:

> Ubuntu uses GRUB boot manager and as far as I remember it won't
> recognize FreeBSD partition out of the box, so you will have to add
> some lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> # For booting FreeBSD
> title  FreeBSD 5.2
> root   (hd0,a)
> chainloader +1
>
> where "(hd0,a)" reflects the position of the FreeBSD primary
> partition.

Grub does recognise FreeBSD partitions so you can use either the
chainloader command or point grub directly to /boot/loader, though I
can't speak for the Ubuntu version. Here's the menu file for my box
with FreeBSD 6.3, FreeBSD 7.0 and Windoze:

default		0
timeout		3
hiddenmenu
color white/blue yellow/blue