buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, shutdow now, fsck -p -- NO WRITE ACCESS

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Mon Aug 11 20:31:47 UTC 2008

freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx wrote:
> Daniel Bye wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 06:37:28PM -0400, email wrote:
>>
>>> I thank you.  In addition, I am quite sure the command we are
>>> referred to in "23.4.5 Drop to Single User Mode" is in fact 'shutdown
>>> now' and not 'shutdown -r now'.
>>
>> Yes. But that section relates to dropping to single user mode for the
>> duration of the build, not for the installworld phase. To quote from
>> 23.4.5:
>>
>>   You may want to *compile* the system in single user mode. (Emphasis
>>   mine)
>>
>> It is merely a possible preparatory step that some people like to take
>> before embarking on the rest of the process.
>>
>> Section 23.4.9 goes on to talk about what to do after the world and
>> kernel build are complete, and you have installed the new kernel:
>>
>>   You should reboot into single user mode to test the new kernel works.
>>   Do this by following the instructions in Section 23.4.5.
>>
>> This refers specifically to the part of 23.4.5 that talks about
>> rebooting into single user mode, and not the part that talks about
>> dropping to single user mode. (A subtle, but important, distinction.)
>>
>> I would suggest that the simplest approach would be something like:
>>
>> # cd /usr/src
>> # make buildworld && make buildkernel
>> # make installkernel
>> (reboot into single user mode)
>> # fsck -p
>> # mount -u /
>> # mount -at ufs
>> # swapon -a
>> # cd /usr/src
>> # make installworld
>> # mergemaster
>>
>> (Just so we're clear - section 23.4.5 talks about going to single
>> user mode for the duration of the *first 3 steps* of the above process.
>> As I mentioned previously, I have never found this step necessary, but
>> there is certainly no harm in it, and it may be the sensible thing to
>> do if your system has a lot of users logged in during normal operations.
>> Note that you must still reboot after installing the new kernel, and
>> before continuing to installworld.)
>>
>> Dan
>>

> I followed 'your' suggestion/recommendation and did 'shutdown -r now'
> with great results; -- fsck -p works fine. However allow me to say that
> the fbsd handbook section 23.4.9, which I was initially following
> referred me back/up to section 23.4.5. The entire section -- 23.4
> Rebuilding “world” only mentioned 'shutdown -r now' one (1) time in
> section 23.4.12. Had the fbsd handbook mentioned 'shutdown -r now'
> instead of referring the reader to another section perhaps I wouldn't be
> discussing this with you. :-) Sorry to make this longer than it needed
> to be. I thank you once again.

The handbook does say in section 23.4.2 that if /usr/src/UPDATING
contradicts something you read in the handbook, UPDATING takes
precedence so I guess it does cover itself. The steps in UPDATING seem
to work pretty well.  I sometimes do mergemaster -iU at the second
mergemaster step in the "To rebuild everything and install it on the
current system" step as I mostly don't change the files that get
reviewed by mergemaster, otherwise I stick exactly to UPDATING and get
almost no problems.

Chris