shutdown/reboot suggestion

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Sun Aug 10 05:11:56 UTC 2008

I have such a script, I put it in /bin/require_hostname and symlinked
shutdown, halt, reboot, fastboot, and fasthalt to this script:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" = `hostname` ]; then
        shift
        exec /sbin/`basename $0` $@
else
        echo "For your protection, use: $0 hostname ..."
fi

I realize a lot of people have their own tricks and habits for
avoiding such stupidity, but what is the problem of fixing the problem
globally by getting these commands to take a hostname argument?

This could certainly be the basis for another thread (and this is
perhaps not the correct list), but is there some way to request a
modification across all the unix/linux distributions out there to
maintain some level of consistency across them?  Except for Posix, is
there some overall list which deals with this conformity of all these
sibling platforms?

Michael Grant