shutdown/reboot suggestion

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Sat Aug 9 20:35:13 UTC 2008

Michael Grant wrote:
> More than once, through carelessness, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I
> have inadvertently shutdown or rebooted the wrong machine.  I'm sure
> some of you know that all too familiar feeling when you see
> "Connection closed" instead of your desktop being rebooted.
>
> I have a suggestion with respect to these commands.  What if they
> could be modified to require the hostname of the machine as their
> first argument, otherwise, they refuse to bring the machine down?
>
>   shutdown -h now
>
> becomes:
>
>   shutdown example.com -h now
>
> and
>
>   reboot
>
> becomes
>
>   reboot example.com
>
> How hard would it to get the other *nix distributions to take up this up too?
>
> Michael Grant

Aloha,

I have set all my servers in the noc to shutdown -r now. This prevents
me from locking my self out of servers as they are not in my office. I
also set the tcsh command line to show path to the directory and the
name of the host box i'm working on so I cant get confused.

Maybe this will help.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >