shutdown/reboot suggestion

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Sat Aug 9 20:22:01 UTC 2008

More than once, through carelessness, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I
have inadvertently shutdown or rebooted the wrong machine.  I'm sure
some of you know that all too familiar feeling when you see
"Connection closed" instead of your desktop being rebooted.

I have a suggestion with respect to these commands.  What if they
could be modified to require the hostname of the machine as their
first argument, otherwise, they refuse to bring the machine down?

  shutdown -h now

becomes:

  shutdown example.com -h now

and

  reboot

becomes

  reboot example.com

How hard would it to get the other *nix distributions to take up this up too?

Michael Grant