How to set quota ( as Mbyte ) for a directory?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Sat Aug 9 18:37:54 UTC 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Yavuz Maslak wrote:
> > On freebsd7, How to set quota for a directory?
> > For instance I want to set 100Mbyte quota for a directory. How can
> > I do
> > that ?
>
> Quotas are handled per filesystem, not per directory.
> See "man quotaon" & "man quotacheck", or the FreeBSD Handbook.

If you're in a position to use/migrate to ZFS, quotas are something you
get "for free". You still have to apply them on a per-filesystem basis but
a ZFS filesystem is just part of a pool so it's a lot more dynamic. See
the "quota" and "refquota" property descriptions in the zfs(1M) manpage.

However, ZFS is only available in FreeBSD 7.0 or newer and is still
considered experimental. There is a patch for -HEAD (8-CURRENT) that brings
in the latest version and addresses many issues, but it hasn't been
backported to 7.x (and may not be).

JN