[OT] Re: apple mac laptop.

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Sat Aug 9 03:00:40 UTC 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	So besides the mac firewall [whatever], the laptop will be
> 	behind my pfSense box.  So... --and to be completely honest, the
> 	main reason for this >> $1000 laptop is *security*.  When she was
> 	younger I wasn't that concerned is some kiddie cracker learned
> 	that her favorite pet was a kitty.  Different now.

MacOS X comes with good old ipfw. Apple has added a 2nd firewall on
top of that for 10.5, but apparently not pf.

> 	Another question: can I install X11 without it bothering whatever
> 	kind of mac front-end windowing comes with?  Be great if I could
> 	admin this BSD-based computer from my office.

Yes, Apple provides X11 as an optional install on the included system
DVD, but not preloaded from the factory.

While you are loading X11 I suggest you also install Xcode. Then again
I think Xcode was pre-installed on my Mac Pro. Xcode is Apple's
software development environment.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net