[dhcpd] BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Aug 8 16:54:27 UTC 2008

Hi--

On Aug 8, 2008, at 8:02 AM, Andrew Falanga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I had hair I'd be pulling it out now.  I cannot find adequate help
> anywhere as yet for this issue.  I've installed the ISC dhcpd program
> from ports and am struggling to get it setup properly.  As I mentioned
> in my other e-mail, I cannot share the contents of my configuration
> file.  I'm sorry, I really wished I could.  What I have is this
> (censored for host names and IP addresses):
>
> not authoritative;

If you are in charge of the subnet range that you are using, then you
should be setting yours to authoritative.  If there is already a DHCP
server running as authoritative for the local subnet, you should
configure your static IPs on it, rather than trying to set up a second
one.  You could probably gain more information by running:

   tcpdump -s 0 -vv port bootps

...and look at whether the MAC addrs match what you think they should
be in the request, and whether your server or another is replying with
DHCPNAK.  There is fine documentation and even a mailing list for the
ISC DHCPD available here and at <dhcp-server at isc.org>:

   http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/dhcp/authoritative.php
   http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/dhcpv3-README.php#support

Regards,