Mixing 64 and 32-bit code

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri Aug 8 08:30:47 UTC 2008

Chuck Swiger ha scritto:

> The simplest answer is that it won't work-- the syscall interface and
> function argument/return-value sizes are going to be different between
> 32-bit and 64-bit code.

I was quite sure of this :-(

> [1]: You can look up how thunking between Win16 and Win32 code worked here:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunk#Thunk_as_compatibility_mapping
 >
 > ...but the same idea could be applied to generic 32-bit & 64-bit ELF
code.

This is just what I was wondering about, whether it extisted or not.

> (It's really an evil thing to try to do, however.)

Yes, I know.
In my case, unfortunately, all I have is a 32-bit object, as closed
source as it could be and I don't think we have any hope in getting the
vendor to provide a 64-bit version (although they do for Linux).

  bye & Thanks
	av.