Wireless (Edimax EW-7128g / ral) to work on FreeBSD 7.0

RODNEY ROGER lolrodney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 23:46:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 and have been having trouble getting a
connection to my wireless access point with the ral driver. This is
the contents of my /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_ral0="ssid myssid wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey <key here>
bssid <ap bssid> DHCP"

When I run 'dhclient ral0' to get the network parameters, it seems to
be sending out several DHCPDISCOVER messages with no offers. I'll
rarely get an offer and send out the request.

I have txpower set to 50 (highest value accepted by this driver I
guess) and this is what a typical scan shows;

# ifconfig ral0 scan
SSID          BSSID           CHAN       RATE    S:N      INT CAPS
<myssid>   <bssid>         11             54M      -91:-95    100EP    WME

# ifconfig ral0
ral0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether <addr>
media: IEEE802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/54Mbps)
status:associated
ssid <myssid> channel 11 (2462 Mhz 11g) bssid <...>
authmode OPEN privacy ON  deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:<...>
bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250
roam:rssi11g roam:rate11g 5 protmode CTS

FWIW, I have this same wireless card on several of my windows machines
and it seems to be working flawlessly :(