64-bit Linux Binary Compatibility (for Matlab)

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 7 15:21:57 UTC 2008

Maxim Khitrov wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Sean Cavanaugh
> <millenia2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:47:45 -0400
>>> From: mkhitrov at gmail.com
>>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>>> Subject: 64-bit Linux Binary Compatibility (for Matlab)
>>> Apparently Matlab tries to allocate a continuous chunk of memory, and
>>> we needed to upgrade to 64-bit hardware to give it access to more than
>>> 1GB of memory, which is about the most that it was able to get before.
>>> It's a lousy explanation, but I wasn't employed at this place when
>>> this diagnosis was made.
>>>
>> running 32-bit gives you access to 4GB of RAM, not 1. there is some address
>> space that is used up by hardware such as video cards that will reduce that
>> number reported by the OS.
>>

> I know that, the key word there is continuous space.

It still doesn't make any sense; processes on i386 have up to 3GB (by
default) of address space to do with what they wish.  Perhaps someone
forgot to increase the maxdsiz resource limit?

Kris