Freebsd auto locking users

Khachatur Shahinyan khachatur.shahinyan at arca.am
Wed Aug 6 06:32:04 UTC 2008

Dear FreeBsd gurus, I have a problem concerning users password and
authentication policies. The goal is
1)make freebsd to lock users after 3 unsuccessful login attempts,
2)force users to change their passwords every 90 days

I've done such changes in Linux distros, with various PAM modules.But in
Freebsd it seems that i need to use login.conf file. Here I made
necessary changes in  that file:

default:\
:login-retries=1:\
:passwordtime=90d:\
:warnpassword=7d:\
:warnexpire=7d:\

Then I made the cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf , and everything went normal,
no error messages, but after adding a test user I see no changes in the
master.passwd file.
The fields which are reserved for password aging parameters are 0:0
test:$1$F9yf.PuK$xqIsGEgK3MexpPZ4UBav0.:1001:1001::0:0:User
&:/home/test:/bin/sh

And the locking point does not work either, e.g. no matter how many
times I input wrong password, I'm still able to login. :(
I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, and what should be done solve
this issues? I'm not an expert Freebsd administration, so any comments
and suggestions are welcome.

Thank You
Khachatur Shahinyan