general questions about 7.0 and computer efficiency......

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 20:12:24 UTC 2008

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:33:20PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 11:19:31AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>>
>>> 	I kep track on the load on my main server, and it is rarely above
>>> 	0.20.  If the load is a poor metric of power use, what is
>>> 	better?  (My new `Watt-o-Meter' is checking the power right now,
>>> 	but I would like to know what drink the most juice: disk,RAM,
>>> 	processor, OpSys?  Number of hit/hours? I want my upgrades to
>>> 	be as cost-effective as possible, in other words.
>>>
>> There isn't a good generic answer to your question. "It all depends" on
>> exactly what hardware you have. A good rule of thumb is 10W for each
>> disk drive, but some were much higher. Pull the data sheets for your
>> drives.
>>
>> A Kill-A-Watt on the power cord is the best way to answer the total
>> question. My old ancient Dell Optiplex running 5.5 draws about 60 watts
>> including the APS 350CS UPS. Am not about to unplug it without good
>> reason:
>>
>> dkelly at AndrAIa {1004} uptime
>>  1:30PM  up 670 days, 21:08, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>>
>> I found a 10G drive in the trash yesterday. Would one day be a nice
>> upgrade for the 4G drive in the above.
>>

> 	the datasheets for the 40G drives are lost lost. but what is your
> 	best guuess about my old 1998 HP's (400MHz) compared to a newer,
> 	generic 1.8GHz processor?  IIRC, my AMD 2.8GHz uproc sucks up
> 	around 75watts; the Intel was maybe 35w.

If your serious about power but need newer capacities, I'd look at
something like http://www.wdc.com/en/products/greenpower/index.asp and
maybe an intel atom (or after reading the reviews/benchmarks the via
nano when its available.)
With dual opterons at the moment my load average (except for when
compiling) is 0 - 0.1 but my electricity bill is significant so i'll be
looking into something atom/nano based in the near future, especially
when i can get a motherboard with CPU for less than 60 uk pounds.