Client only supports checkout mode

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:46:26 UTC 2008

kalin m wrote:
> thanks....
>
> i tried both cvsup and csup to update my ports and i'm not sure it's
> working. they both run through but the ports don't seem to be updated.
> like i can see a new port here
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/php5/ which is 5.2.6
> (also on freshports) but using cvsup3.FreeBSD.org i don't get above
> 5.2.5....
>
> is there any other way?

Well, just to make sure, use the ports-supfile from
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile and change *only* the server to
cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
Just checked my tree, and I have php 5.2.6. Some cvsup servers seem to
be more up to date than others.

Then again, if it is just the ports tree you are after, I would suggest
using portsnap:

The first time just do:

portsnap fetch extract

And for all subsequent times:

portsnap fetch update

That's it! No settings, no supfiles, no worries on selecting servers.
And it is faster too. The first time it will download a ~50MB file, but
then updates will be a lot smaller.