Shutdown problems on virtual PC

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 2 00:27:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:46:58 -0600, Lorin Lund <lorin.lund at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what power management
> protocol Paralells Workstation uses.  Nor do I know what the
> default is for FreeBSD 6 (default kernel).  What would be the next older
> power
> management?  Is there some knob to turn to tell FreeBSD 6 to use
> something older?  Or do I have to rebuild the kernel?

As far as I know, power management by ACPI is the default. In
order to shut down a system that does not have ACPI, but APM,
ACPI needs to be disabled in most cases, as well as APM needs
to be enabled manually. I don't know how "Paralells Workstation"
handles this, but older PCs (with APM, but without ACPI) can
be shut down this way.

(I hope I did understand your question as intended.)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0