Adding device to FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 1 19:26:31 UTC 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 12:13:41 pm John Nielsen wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2008, Jack Raats wrote:
> > I would like to add the zyd device to FreeBSD.
> > The zyd driver allready is in FreeBSD 7.0.
> > Which steps do I have to take to add the zyd device to FreeBSD?
>
> Sorry, what are you asking? What version of FreeBSD are you using and what
> do you need help doing?

From the subject line, I imagine Jack is using 6.3-STABLE and wants to
backport the driver from 7.0 to 6.3.  Backporting most drivers from 7.0 to
6.x isn't a big deal (can generally just copy over and compile).  However,
zyd(4) is a wireless driver and the net80211 wireless networking stack is
quite different in 6.x vs 7.0, so that is where it would be complicated to
backport the driver.  I'm not intimately familiar with net80211 in either
branch, so I'm unsure how much work the backport would be.

--
John Baldwin