The best way to upgrade my FreeBSD and its jails

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Aug 1 19:18:23 UTC 2008

Redd Vinylene wrote:

> My dedicated server is mother, its two jails are camel and box. Is
> this the best way to upgrade all of them?
>
> Pretty cool huh?
>
> -
>
> # FreeBSD/i386 mother.reddvinylene.no
>
> csup /etc/cvsupfile && \
>
> cd /usr/src && \
>
> make buildworld && \
>
> make buildkernel && \
>
> make installworld && \
>
> make installkernel && \
>
> make delete-old && \
>
> make delete-old-libs && \
>
> mergemaster -U&& \
>
> export D=/usr/jail/camel && \
>
> make installworld DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> make installworld installkernel DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> make delete-old DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> make delete-old-libs DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> cd etc/ && \
>
> make distribution DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> cd .. && \
>
> mergemaster -U -D $D && \
>
> export D=/usr/jail/box && \
>
> make installworld DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> make installworld installkernel DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> make delete-old DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> make delete-old-libs DESTDIR=$D && \
>
> cd etc/ && \
>
> make distribution DESTDIR=$D && \

> mergemaster -U -D $D && \
>
> chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/* && \
>
> rm -rf /usr/obj/*

It would be better if you post what version you are running and to what
version you want to update / upgrade. If you want to use some RELEASE,
you can user freebsd-update command for binary update of base and jails.

Also it is not good to do all the above steps as one chained command.

Miroslav Lachman