carp+openospfd

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Fri Aug 1 10:32:16 UTC 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 06:54:02 Alexandre Biancalana wrote:
> The firewalls failover this is working great with Carp. My
> difficulties is to configure OpenOSPFD to distribute routes in this
> setup,

Two points:
1) Did you try to run OSPF on the CARP interface?
Or the physical one? I don't think running OSPF
on the CARP interface will work, cause the CARP
interface receives nothing while at BACKUP mode.

2) Specify the router-id yourself to avoid OpenOSPFD's
autoselection, remember that the CARP interface has
the same IP address on both hosts and that's not
very nice to OSPF:)

> the links failover+loadbalance comes naturally after ospf
> running.

No, OSPF cannot provide load balancing, as FreeBSD does not support
equal cost multipath routing, that is you can use one and only one
next hop for a destination. So, in short, OSPF will not do load
balancing, as it does with other vendors you may be familiar with.

If you run CARP on the LAN links as well(which you probably do),
you should test and see how CARP's ARP level load balancing fits
your network...

Hope this helps a bit, Nikos