PCI Gigabit Ethernet network interface card (NIC) recommendations

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:04:30 UTC 2008

> I have a FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE i386 computer, category 5E cabling, and a
> Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch.  The machine currently hosts CVS, and I plan
> to add FTP and mirroring eventually.
>
> I would like to add a PCI Gigabit Ethernet network interface card (NIC) to the
> computer and was wondering what cards other people are using and how they
> liked them.  Any comments and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Intel PWLA8391GTBLK, available on newegg for under $25 (USD). I've been running
 two of these on a FreeBSD 6 machine for about a year now, with zero problems.
 The use the em(4) driver, written by Intel.

On a side note, I did have problems with the Netgear GS108 line of switches,
 where they would completely lock up at random intervals when daisy chained
 together. (This was not caused by the Intel network cards.) When not connected
 to one-another they seem to be stable, as I still two of these with
no problems.

Best of luck.
-Modulok-