Spawning Xdialogs from devd...

Gary Newcombe gary at pattersonsoftware.com
Wed Apr 30 09:12:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:25:04 +0200 (CEST), Wojciech Puchar
<wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > I'm curious to know what is actually going on here. I wouldn't have thought the context from which devd is restarted would make any difference, but clearly it does. Any clues?
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any ideas how I can call Xdialog to get the windows displayed?
> >

> you run Xdialog from root (devd is root), you run X from user.

Even if running X under root, it's the same behaviour. Unless devd is
restarted, there is no sound or xdialogs. If I restart devd from
another console, then the sound device becomes available and sound can
be heard, but no Xdialogs. If devd is restarted from within X, then
both sound and Xdialogs are ok. This is with any window manager, and
nothing much else is running here to screw things up.

The script is definitely being run on the keypress each time. There's
obviously something I'm missing about devd here.