wine: notepad OK, others not

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Mon Apr 28 13:03:50 UTC 2008

On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:02:39 perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>> It's really easier to try to install an app under Wine...
>
> With, it seems, at least two exceptions:
>
> * Some apps -- such as Wordpad and Write -- are packaged and
>   installed with Windows, rather than on separate media.  Are
>   there instructions somewhere for "installing" such an app
>   under wine?  I'm certainly not finding it at all obvious.

Such apps you can only try to copy over to Wine. Wine has its
own simple version of Wordpad though. Just run "wine wordpad".

> * Some add-on (separately installable) apps are packaged
>   on multiple diskettes (or multiple CDs for that matter).
>   Pre-mounting the first, and pointing wine at the mount
>   point, seems likely to result in getting stuck partway
>   through the install when it asks for the second disk.
>
> The version of Visio that I have is in the second category.

You should ask about this on the wine-users mailing list. It should
be possible to unmount the disk when it asks for the next one. If
you can't then that's a bug.

> The manpage describes a way of pointing wine to a device
> rather than to a mounted filesystem:
>
>   The Unix device corresponding to a DOS drive can be
>   specified the same way, except with '::' instead of
>   ':'. So for the previous example, if the CDROM device
>   is mounted from /dev/hdc, the corresponding symlink
>   would be $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/d:: -> /dev/hdc.
>
> but, as reported elsewhere, wine could not find setup.exe
> on the Visio install diskette with dosdevices set up this
> way.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the :: link is only used for
raw access to devices. Wine doesn't mount disks on its own.

>> ... You also might want to have a look at
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks for a script
>> that can install and setup various packages ...
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find Visio in its list of packages.

Yes, it's only for extra packages (libs, fonts,..) like mfc42.dll
and such. It's just that installing DLLs via winetricks might be
easier than trying to figure out what DLLs to copy from a Windows
install.